non-destructive paste?

This must be dead simple, but I'm not finding it via google.

I select and copy n rows of material in sheet2 of a workbook, then I switch to sheet1, use Insert to prepend a blank row, and do paste with the cursor in A1. The effect is to overwrite the first n-1 rows in sheet1.

That's what you'd want sometimes, but what I want is for the paste to prepend the sheet2 data, moving the existing rows down, not overwriting them. How is that done, please?

(This is gnumeric 1.12.7.)

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics