Re: Help with Online Help?

On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 19:46:36 -0400, Jody Goldberg wrote:
I'll have to do some research into how to produce pdf from docbook
using free tools.  It's going to be somewhat messy on OSX.

It's messy on GNU/Linux as well; I've had few tries at this. Currently, my
money is on dbcontext (DocBook to ConTeXt, http://dblatex.sourceforge.net/).

Have a look at
        http://www.xinara.org/~ray/tmp/gnumeric.pdf
to examine the output quality. (The file doesn't include images; that's due
to lack of time, not due to a dbcontext limitation)

On the positive side, it runs non-interactively and can actually process
larger DocBook files (unlike e.g. the jadetex based "db2pdf" script).

On the negative side, it is based on ConTeXt, i.e. requires a rather
complete TeX setup, and needs some of the settings to be set quite a bit
higher than their defaults.

If you're happy with the output quality, I can see what I can do about
building PDF documentation this way in a more automated fashion and with
proper graphics.

HTH,
Ray
--
TV is the worst of both worlds. It's not as good at words as radio is
because the pictures are a distraction which demand attention, and it's not