Re: Controlling gnumeric from Python

 The py-gnumeric.c code you are working with is a much earlier attempt to
produce python wrappers for gnumeric.  For a long time this has come with
warnings that the API is nothing like fixed + that is one major reason why
it hasn't had more work done on it.

I understand no one is interested in a patch, then. Well, it is trivial anyway.

 Basically, the project has been waiting for someone with the time and
energy to work out the API.   I think scripting is very high on Jody's
wish-list for 1.5, so things might be about to change very soon.

The time criteria definetely excludes me :-/ . I'd be happy to chip in
for  couple of mindless tasks, though....

 Meanwhile, one other thing you might like to investigate is py-func.py --
this is an example of how to extend gnumeric with your own functions written
in python -- no substitute for full python scripting, but if you just want
to knock up some custom functions then a good way to go.

Well, this is not likely to work for me. py-func is an example how to
create custom functions for spreadsheet. I need to go in the opposite
direction --- there already exists an algorithm defined in Excel
spreadsheet and I need to call this algorithm from outside, from
Python or Java or C or whatever.  It does not seem to be possible
with gnumeric at this point ---- I really would like to be corrected.
For example, it is probably not possible to write Python function to
do Gnumeric optimization, right?

Yes, this is convoluted to create algorithm in Excel, but
unfortunately this is the way it is done. From a cursory look it seems
like there is no easy way to call Excel / whatever spreadsheet to do
some calculation  from other program except on Windows. Openoffice+UNO
might work, but Debian openoffice comes without pyuno and even default
distribution comes with its own ancient python. So even if I download
different OO.org distribution, I'd need to duplicate all my Python
environment specifically for Openoffice included Python which does not
sound like a lot of fun.

Well, I'll stick with my custom Gnumeric for now then.... As soon as
new scripting model shows up, I'd like to play with it.

 John