Re: Gnumeric from USB key or mini-CD?

On Sat, 2005-06-08 at 20:13 +0000, Prof J C Nash wrote:
This message is both a query and a suggestion.

I am wondering if anyone has run Gnumeric from a USB key or from a CD.
If so, under what platforms?

My feeling is that one of the biggest obstacles to the wider use and
adoption of Gnumeric is that folk have to install it. If we had Gnumeric
on a USB key and/or on a CD (mini CD with logo would be nice, or even
full size Gnome tools), especially if major platforms were present,
those of us who use it could run it when we need to, even as guests on
other machines.

I'm not an expert compilation/configuration, but willing to work on this
as I think the eventual payback would be large. I'm guessing that lots
of folk would use Gnumeric / AbiWord etc. if they didn't have to install
it. My own particular interest is when I need to run ssconvert somewhere
to extract files from .xls.

Comments on feasibility and desirability welcome.

We have gnumeric available for our students on a Gnoppix CD. So they can
boot (virtually) any machine using that CD and have Gnumeric available
in a Linux environment.

Andreas

--
Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
Dept. of Mathematical & Computing Sciences