Re: xmgrace

> Can you elaborate on this.  What does "fast in use" mean.
> I consider gnuplot very fast.  Also, gnuplot handles 3-D
> plots; Grace does not, if I recall. (?)

Yes that's true you can't do 3D plots. But if you look for scientific journal the most of plots are 2D. But I agree this is disadvantage. But on the other hand if you want to make a zoom of the graph you need just to click on the icon. If you need shift the graft you need just to press the icon. Generally it is more easy to work with xmgrace then gnuplot and in my opinion tools for data analisys are mutch better in xmgrace and much more user friendly.

But don't get me wrong I don't want to prove what is better, xmgrace or gnuplot. I just try to show that integration of such programs with gnumeric can be very useful and more people will use gnumeric as a calculation tool.

> Similarly, gnuplot can be controlled by external programs.
> It is however a plotting program, on the philosophy that
> the data manipulation should (mostly) be done elsewhere.
> (Like in gnumeric!)
Yes and I would like to have a plugin which allow me directly send the date to gnuplot or xmgrace not by exporting data to the file then importing to the gnuplot or xmgrace. I can do it already but from practical point of view this is not fast method. In xmgrace I have own templates, fuctions and I have my own standard for data keeping.

But don't get me wrong I don't want to prove what is better xmgrace or gnuplot I just try to prove that integration of sutch programs with gnumeric can be very useful

Sending just data gets you only the default plot.
Don't you need to be able to send script commands too?

Just very basic commands.

Alan G Isaac wrote:
On Tue, 06 Jul 2004, Andrzej Grzegorczyk apparently wrote:

Gnuplot is very good but it is not so fast in use, xmgrace it
much better from this point of view.

Can you elaborate on this.  What does "fast in use" mean.
I consider gnuplot very fast.  Also, gnuplot handles 3-D
plots; Grace does not, if I recall. (?)

Can be controlled from external programs and has it is the
best, non commercial tools for data analysis.

Similarly, gnuplot can be controlled by external programs.
It is however a plotting program, on the philosophy that
the data manipulation should (mostly) be done elsewhere.
(Like in gnumeric!)

Preparing of short plugin program which will just send
data (with some data information like filename) to xmgrace
this is a problem of 3 weeks of programming. (I'm trying
to do it but I know only c++ and there is not a lot of
documentation about writing gnumeric plugins in c).

Sending just data gets you only the default plot.
Don't you need to be able to send script commands too?
Anyway, please announce if you succeed.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac

.

|Andrzej Grzegorczyk                    |
|Experimentele Vaste Stof Fysica III    |
|Universiteit Nijmegen                  |
|Toernooiveld 1, NL 6525 ED Nijmegen    |
|Postbus 9010, NL 6525 GL Nijmegen      |
|The Netherlands                                |
|e-mail andrzej sci kun nl              |
|tel.: +31-24-3653432                   |
|fax.: +31-24-3652620                   |                                       |
            /|\  www.pajacyk.pl
            I L
It will be generally found that those who sneer habitually at human
nature and affect to despise it, are among its worst and least pleasant
examples.
                -- Charles Dickens