Re: xmgrace

Hello,

My comments are:
> i. is it interesting to the developers to offer easy access
> to external plotting packages?  (And if so, what is the
> right interface, given that many plotting options will need
> to be set?)

I don't say that developers should prepare special plugins and stop doing their job. If somebody want to prepare their own plot program that's no problem - they can do it. But I don't like Microsoft politics in Linux (if you use our program, you have to use every thing what we propose). As a scientist I spend a lot of time to find good tool for plotting. Gnuplot is very good but it is not so fast in use, xmgrace it much better from this point of view. Can be controlled from external programs and has it is the best, non commercial tools for data analysis.

> ii. would reliance on some external package, e.g. gnuplot or
> Grace, offer a quicker and more robust path to the graphics
> functionality desired for gnumeric?
>
> Speaking in complete ignorance of the underlying issues, it
> does look like a lot of great Open Source graphics code is
> not adequately exploited.

ii. Maybe not. I don't know. But prepare very good robust, fast tools for plotting it's can take two more years of programming. Xmgrace is developed already few years and every 3 month there is a new version of this program. The number of functions and details is huge. Preparing of short plugin program which will just send data (with some data information like filename) to xmgrace this is a problem of 3 weeks of programming. (I'm trying to do it but I know only c++ and there is not a lot of documentation about writing gnumeric plugins in c).

Best regards
Andrzej