Re: paradox support: help needed

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 12:36:39PM -0500, Jody Goldberg wrote:
On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 06:26:05PM +0100, Uwe Steinmann wrote:
2. The library can also call an external error handler. Same question as
   in 1.
What sorts of errors ?  The io_context passed into the reader is the
best place to register warnings and errors.
All kinds of errors within the library, like not sufficient memory
or passing bogus parameters to functions.
In many cases it is probably ok to through the internal error message
away and just do some more general error reporting. Though, i find
it always useful to get an error msg from the place where the error actually
occured. I guess I will have to extend my error handler with some
pointer to user data, in order to pass the io_context.

hmm.  For internal errors something like, g_warning is probably the
best bet.  The io_context is better suited to high level user
visible problems.
I just added the passing of user data to the error handler, but
I don't mind using g_warning.

When can we see the code ?  It would be nice to get it in as soon as
1.3.x branches.
Do you just want to have a brief look into the plugin code or shall a
send a patch to the current cvs? The patch will contain everything,
changes to configure.in, po/POTFILES.in, plugin/Makefile.am, ...

A full patch is probably the best bet.  We can't put this in until
things branch but when it does go in things like configure.in
support and such are important to keeping the rest of the tree
building.
What I currently do in configure.in is basically checking for the lib.
Still not perfect.

try_paradox=false
AC_ARG_WITH(paradox,
  [--{with,without}-paradox Compile with Paradox support or without it],
  if test "x$withval" != xno; then
    try_paradox=true
  fi
)

if $try_paradox; then
  AC_MSG_CHECKING(for paradox >= 0.1.9)
  if test -r ${withval}/include/paradox.h ; then
    PARADOX_LDFLAGS=-L${withval}/lib
    PARADOX_CFLAGS=-I${withval}/include
  else
    PARADOX_LDFLAGS=-L/usr
    PARADOX_CFLAGS=-I/usr/include
  fi

  AC_CHECK_LIB(px, PX_get_record2,
    PARADOX_LDFLAGS="$PARADOX_LDFLAGS",
    AC_MSG_ERROR([libpx not found. You will need at least libpx 0.1.0]),
    "$PX_LIBDIR")

  PARADOX_LIBS=-lpx

  enable_paradox=true
fi
AM_CONDITIONAL(WITH_PARADOX, $enable_paradox)
AC_SUBST(PARADOX_LDFLAGS)
AC_SUBST(PARADOX_LIBS)
AC_SUBST(PARADOX_CFLAGS)

Does pxlib use pkg-config ?  That would be ideal.
I wouldn't mind to use pkg-config, if I just knew how to
get it going. Is pkg-config something gnome specific?

  Uwe
--
  MMK GmbH, Universitaetsstr. 11, 58097 Hagen
  Uwe Steinmann mmk-hagen de