Re: dumb question - cursor movement on [enter]

Hey all,

Actually Jody this was one of my first questions to you, a couple of
years ago. :-) If one is doing lots of data entry (say 8000 rows of 6
columns) it's really important to be able to get the "enter" key to have
various behaviours (say five times it moves one column to the right then
the next time it moves one row down, five cols over). I used this
feature of excel a lot when entering a year's worth of weather data.
This way I could have one hand on the numeric keypad, one on the ledger
and my eyes could jump between the ledger and the screen only. Since,
I'm anal, I entered all the data twice and checked that the difference
in all cases was zero. *This would not have been possible with
gnumeric!* Seriously. The work took me two weeks and if I had been
forced to work column by column, I would have had much more work, a much
higher error rate and run out of time.

I'm not sure what that feature is called but eventually we would want to
support something like this, ideally in some kind of scriptable form:
        if in column B:F, move one row right
        if in column G, move one row down, move to column B

cheers,
adrian