an inverse to the address() function?

I need an inverse to the address() function. What I'd like to have is
something like the following:

    Enter a column: AA___
    Column number:  27___

I want to type in a column name and have the cell below it automatically
return the column number. For single letter columns, "code(upper(@ref)) - 64"
does what I want, but for two-letter columns, the string handling would be
unpleasant.

The address() function will go from numbers to an A1-style reference, but I
need the reverse. I've tried various combinations of column() and
indirect() but haven't been able to get it to work.

I need a numeric column reference for use with the offset() function
elsewhere.

Is there an easy way I can do this? I'm using Gnumeric 1.0.12.

Thanks a lot,

Dan

--
---          DA1A E0F0 7E07 27C3 7539  F2F4 5AF1 2C82 A17E D584
-----                          Dan Drake <drake lemongecko org>