Notes on Re: "Select All" Memory Bug?

I'm new to the list, and the exchange on the

Subject: Re: "Select All" Memory Bug?

was an excellent introduction.  When I have difficulty, I will
remember to include the disclaimer

|- > > Perhaps it has to do with the fact that I'm running KDE?

(because it is more familiar), but I will need to use gnome also.

|- > ...
|-
|- > Gnumeric supports several clipboard formats.  Klipper is probably
|- > selecting something like csv, or text.  and we're getting confused
|- > and trying to produce a text version of 65k rows.
|-
|- That makes sense. I think I've caught gnumeric making poor choices in
|- other cases about which cells actually contain worthwhile data. At least
|- once I've ended up sending a spreadsheet to my boss which contained
|- about 16K rows, which Excel happily tried to print for her. ...

This happens the other way, too.  I have been sent things extracted
from Excel with extra row and columns ... but I do find myself
overshooting the data when I use the scroll bar in a gnumeric
worksheet.  The row numbers are suddenly large, although I don't think
I have gotten as far as 16K.

My instincts are still geared to a different spreadsheet, but the
gnumeric menus have led me to do most of what I need.  I am a little
confused about fonts:  the toolbar tells me that one font is selected,
but what I see on the screen is a different font in a different size.
Most recently, this involved an imported document, and I was probably
seeing the font used in the original.  I also added new Type 1 fonts
(using the utility that came with SuSE 8.0, running under KDE 3.0),
but gnumeric doesn't know about them.  Pointers to information beyond
what has made it into the help pages would be useful.

--
    R. T. Bumby       ||Amer. Math. Monthly Problems Editor 1992--1996
bumby math rutgers edu||  Math. Dept. Computer Coordinator 1998--NOW