Re: "Select All" Memory Bug?

On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 14:15, Jody Goldberg wrote:
On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 10:19:21AM -0700, David Mitchell wrote:
Perhaps it has to do with the fact that I'm running KDE?

Bingo!
!#$^! #$&^ Klipper

Try disabling it and I'll be the problem goes away.

Yep, that did the trick. I never used Klipper anyway (although it seems
like it could be a neat feature), so turning it off isn't a big hassle
for me.

Gnumeric supports several clipboard formats.  Klipper is probably
selecting something like csv, or text.  and we're getting confused
and trying to produce a text version of 65k rows.

That makes sense. I think I've caught gnumeric making poor choices in
other cases about which cells actually contain worthwhile data. At least
once I've ended up sending a spreadsheet to my boss which contained
about 16K rows, which Excel happily tried to print for her. I haven't
reported it as a bug though since I wasn't able to find a way to
reliably reproduce it. That particular spreadsheet when thru a lot of
hands, and got cross-converted between Gnumeric XML format and Excel
format several times. I'm still not sure exactly how it ended up with
16K rows, but I was never able to get rid of them. I eventually had to
cut-n-paste the valid cells into a new document, which bringing it back
on topic, triggered the bug I did report. At the time I didn't recognize
it because I was trying to copy ~16K rows, so I wasn't too surprised
when the memory blew up on me. But I'm being longwinded.

There are no external debug flags in gnumeric for tracking this sort
of thing, but I'll try to replicate it now that I have a better
clue.  We'll need to work around it.

Sounds good. Let me know if you need more info, or want me to test a
patch or anything. Thanks,

-David Mitchell

| David Mitchell (mitchell ucar edu)       Network Engineer IV  |
| Tel: (303) 497-1845                      National Center for  |
| FAX: (303) 497-1818                      Atmospheric Research |