Re: Backporting locking cells / worksheet protection

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 08:50:16AM -0600, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:
Floris Kraak wrote:

Well, once we get to the the first production release of the gnome2
branch we have hopefully completed the implementation of "locking cells"
and this will not be an issue. The stable 1.0.x branch on the other hand
is already a production release.

Noted. Being careful is your job. However, producing a patch
for this particular piece of functionality is mine.

There are lots of differences between the stable and unstable branch as
far as analysis tools etc are concerned and backporting these changes
(and guaranteeing stability) is virtually impossible.

Which is the other reason I didn't attempt it ;-)

Finally; How about documentation? Can't we just document
this function as being not totally foolproof? I can imagine putting
a 'incomplete' label on the 'locked' property of a cell. This might
very well be a good idea regardless, because right now in the stable
branch this checkbox is utterly and completely useless.

That would surely be a good idea, but imho users will normally use only
the manual after the application has failed them.

Of course, but labelling the checkbox as 'incomplete' or 'partly
functional' covers that - it's not in the manual, it's right there in
front of them. If they don't even read the checkbox they're clicking
on.. well, then these users have a problem.

Regards,
Floris Kraak
--
When a shepherd goes to kill a wolf, and takes his dog along to see
the sport, he should take care to avoid mistakes.  The dog has certain