Re: Backporting locking cells / worksheet protection

On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 10:15:07AM -0600, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:

I don't think that the patch will introduce any stability problems, but
it may be greatly misleading to users: The patch prohibits the editing
of locked cells but does not prohibit the clearing or deletion or... of
a locked cell. Users may wrongly perceive that a locked cell on a
protected worksheet is in fact safe.

Just curious; Does the unstable branch prevent that?

I've seen your patch to introduce further protection on ranges
but large parts of it won't apply to stable so I left it.
I suppose something like that could be 'backported' but it might
well end up being a reimplementation of existing functionality.

Finally; How about documentation? Can't we just document
this function as being not totally foolproof? I can imagine putting
a 'incomplete' label on the 'locked' property of a cell. This might
very well be a good idea regardless, because right now in the stable
branch this checkbox is utterly and completely useless.

Regards,
Floris Kraak
--
"No problem is so formidable that you can't walk away from it."
 -- C. Schulz