Re: Gnumeric 1.1.14

Hi,

Gnumeric 1.1.14 aka 'Team Gnumeric rules!' is now available.

I installed gnumeric 1.1.14 on RH8 based Linux and Mac OS X (10.2.3 with Fink). It works fine on both machines, though there were a few Mac OS X specific glitches.

First gnumeric cannot compile with -D_POSIX_SOURCE on Mac OS X, so I deleted -Werror from configure script when checking -D_POSIX_SOURCE.

Second, python-loader plugin cannot compile because of multiple definitions of symbol _py_Boolean_object_type and so on. I removed #include "py-gnumeric.h" from gnm-py-interpreter.c and python-loader.c , and just add
        extern void py_initgnumeric (GnmPyInterpreter *interpreter);
 to gnm-py-interpreter.c and
extern Value *call_python_function (PyObject *python_fn, const EvalPos *eval_pos, gint n_args, Value **args);
to python-loader.c.  Then it compiled fine.

Third, segfault occurred when saving file as Excel format on Mac OS X. I found two glitches. One is that p != NULL check is needed for excel_write_string_len(). The other is, because Mac OS X with Fink uses libiconv, it is needed to use "UTF-16LE" for g_iconv_open in ms_biff_put_new() on ms-biff.c. It seems "UTF16LE" is not assigned as alias of "UTF-16LE" on libiconv.

With these modifications, I enjoyed gnumeric very much on Mac OS X. I can read and write Japanse Excel file. Also Japanese XIM works fine.

Thanks,
--
Etsushi Kato
ekato ees hokudai ac jp