Re: File/Import...

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 12:28:09PM -0500, Allin Cottrell wrote:
Could I put in a plea to reinstate this menu entry, for handling
text/csv and so on?  It's there in 1.0.11 but not in 1.1.12.
I'd rather not the change was quite deliberate after many many bug
reports complaining of misunderstandings as to what was import and
what was open.  The resulting mess basicly dictated that import was
all the auto probed openers + the imports.  There was no point in
having that distinction.

The default in the file open dialog in 1.1.12 is "automatically
detected", but that does not work well.  For instance if I open a
plain text, space delimited file without manually selecting "Text
import" it gets imported as a "blob" with no column divisions.

That is because the default setting is to treat it as a csv I think.
It would be easy to make the probe a bit smarter, though not alot.
The real goal should be to somehow note that the format is text, but
that it does not correspond to the default settings.  That way we
can bring up the jumbo config dialog.