Re: Printing problem

Hello Tim!

On 28 Jul 2001 22:28:24 -0400, Tim Boring wrote:
Hello, Lauris!  I've attached my fontmap file to this message...don't
have a fontmap2, though.  I don't know if this seems odd, but I do have
both the freetype and freetype2 packages installed (the former from SuSE
the latter from Ximian).

That's OK. gnome-print <= 0.25 uses fontmap, >=0.26 uses fontmap2, so
the latter will only be present, if you have installed later gnome-print
version.
FreeType is not used by current stable gnome-print (neither 0.25 nor
0.29).

Just to make sure we're both talking about the same thing: Gnumeric does
print text on the screen...I've got several spreadsheets that I can add
data to and manipulate without any problem.  But, if I send that same
spreadsheet to the printer, that's when no text prints out on a sheet of
paper.

I understand. The problem is, that fonts you see on screen while editing
come from X (X font server), the ones you should see on print-preview
and paper, have to be found separately (because X font system is very
crappy and cannot be used for finding printable fonts).
fontmap file is simple database, mapping font files to names, so these
files can be used read data necessary for printing.

OK, analysis: