Re: wishlist: file export feature

Jody Goldberg wrote:

On Mon, Dec 24, 2001 at 02:09:09PM -0700, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:

Jody Goldberg wrote:

97) Have a look at MS Excel's magic html (why have 2 bogus
  non-standard formats) ?

Why have any invalid html ?

Serializing a spreadsheet into html will require a superset of html.
Whether the result is valid or invalid is a side issue, the format
will still be a more than just stock html.  We can shoe horn the
extra data in ways that are considered 'valid' or ways that are just
effectively valid, that choice can be discused after the release.  My
first reaction would be to look at MS Excel's html format, and to
use that unless there is a very good reason not to, even if it is
NOT valid html.  Defining a new file format is not a step Gnumeric
should take lightly.  Compatibility with existing toolsets is very
important at this stage of Gnumeric development.

I am probably missing the point completely, but: if we want to `extend' html why don't we just use xml, hey but we are doing that already....?? Perhaps what is really meant is to write a DTD to display gnumeric xml??

Andreas

--
Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
http://www.math.concordia.ab.ca/aguelzow