Re: gnote-3.15.0 tray icon removed!

Il giorno mar, 17/02/2015 alle 11.12 +0000, Barry Jackson ha scritto:
On 17/02/15 07:18, Pietro Battiston wrote:
- I have GNote always open (in a workspace which I use seldomly), as far
as I can see there is no reason why now GNote should not be launched at
boot,
OK, I can see that working but by changing workspace you lose visibility
of the job in hand.
[...]
- I have an extension which does add an icon on the taskbar:
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/769/gnotetomboy-integration/

That extension is a Gnome thing - I don't use Gnome.
"We cannot detect a running copy of GNOME on this system, so some parts
of the interface may be disabled. See our troubleshooting entry for more
information."
So I won't go there.

Yep, sorry, I thought this was obvious. I was just pointing at the
decoupling of the gnote app from the taskbar interface, and at the same
time confirming that you are not the only one missing the old
functionality (since somebody did write the extension).

and at first I though this was the only way to not destroy my
productivity (since I was also used to reaching any note with two
clicks). In fact, I almost never use it, because it's quicker for me to
change workspace with the keyboard. But for people preferring the use of
the mouse, this (or a port of this to KDE) could be a solution.

I prefer mouse for almost everything, and I am used to using the X to
close the gnote windows. Now that closes the application which is most
frustrating and would take me a very long time to un-learn.

Thanks for your comments - interesting, however it does seem that you
are jumping through hoops just to try to get back some of the
functionality that has been removed :\

Even when I used stickynotes (a simpler, now abandoned, GNOME taskbar
app - which I would miss a lot was it not for GNote), I always kept them
in a separated workspace.
But sure, that's certainly a matter of tastes (my heavy use of
workspaces is related to my limited use of the mouse), so I can
understand the loss of usability you experience.

Pietro