Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Webcam problems

Damien Sandras wrote:

Hi,
I have a webcam Logitech Chat. This camera is working fine with camorama
and working fine with Ubuntu Dapper LTS 6.06, but in my production
distro: Gentoo the camera is not working. I downloaded V4L and V4L2 but
nothing happen. When I open  Preferences -> video devices -> Video
Plugin is set to Pictures and I can not modified this when click on
Detect devices button. When I worked with Ubuntu video plugin is set to
v4l but I do not know how to fix this in Gentoo. I am migrating to
Ubuntu but awhile I need to use Gentoo because all my data is there.
Thanks in advance
I appreciate some help

That means that the plugins are not correctly installed. Check that they
appear in /usr/lib/pwlib (some subdirectory)

You can also try strace ekiga to see if they are correctly loaded.

regards,
dmery

Thanks for answering,

I checked the directory /usr/lib/pbwlib and the system has
/usr/lib/pbwlib/devices/sound. Directory "sound" has two plugins
(alsa_pwplugin.so and oss_pwplugin.so). System does not have nothing
about "video" or "v4l". I will check this directory in my Ubuntu system
to match with Gentoo.
Maybe you know but Gentoo OS installed v4l and v4l2 from "portage" and I
suposse that "portage" installed it in a good way.
If you have any idea what is wrong let me know,

If there is nothing concerning video in /usr/lib/pwlib, then portage
didn't do its job well.

You should try again, and perhaps report a bug to gentoo.

Damien

Hi Damien,
I solved the problem :-)
1. I copied /usr/lib/pwlib/devices/video from Ubuntu to Gentoo
2. I edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf and wrote in Module section:
    Load  "v4l"
and "voila" and now video webcam is working fine in my Gentoo OS
Thanks for your help
Regards,
dmery