[GnomeMeeting-list] Building pwlib/openh323 : need to keep source directories for using the libs? (PWLIBDIR/OPENH323DIR issue)

Hello to all gnomemeeting stewards and stewardesses,

I am currently trying to build gnomemeeting (via GARNOME-2.10.0.1) and first have to build the pwlib and openh323 libraries.

The problem is that I don't want to have them in the standard ~/pwlib and ~/openh323 directories. As told in the docs, I appropriately set the PWLIBDIR and OPENH323DIR variables but this always fails when configuring either package.

I suspect the problem comes from the fact that you must keep your source _and_ installation directories for the libraries to work; this is not however clear at all in the FAQ : the gnomemeeting one says to --prefix in /usr, which I can't and the pwlib/openh323 docs are very scarce on the matter.

Here is a sum-up on what I tried (I'd like to install in ~/InstalledProgs/pwlib-1.8.4 and ~/InstalledProgs/openh323-1.15.3). I also correctly export LD_LIBRARY_PATH to these appropriate dirs/lib as well.

+ export PWLIBDIR and OPENH323DIR to these dirs, --prefix in those directories as well, 'make', 'make install' : OK for pwlib but openh323 configure then complains it cannot find version.h for pwlib

+ export PWLIBDIR and OPENH323DIR to the dirs where I unpacked the tarballs, no prefix at all, 'make' (no 'install' as this would go into /usr) : fine for both packages but then gnomemeeting complains it cannot find libpt (which is normal according to what the 'install' target makes).

This is where I am. I suspect the correct settings are to export PWLIBDIR and OPENH323DIR to the tarballs directories, then to --prefix to ~/InstalledProgs/pwlib-1.8.4 and ~/InstalledProgs/openh323-1.15.3 for each of the packages and 'make' + 'make install'. However, this would mean to always have to keep a copy of the unpacked sources for the version.h file when building. This is not really convenient. Most GNU packages rely only on the --prefix setting and all is fine after that (provided you correctly export LD_LIBRARY_PATH after that if you are building libs).

Thanks for your help here, I am really willing to understand and commit a patch to the doc as well because this has bogged me down for so long now (and prevented me from building gnomemeeting all the way down from GNOME 2.6).