Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Re: GnomeMeeting 1.2 and Skype

Le lundi 11 octobre 2004 à 14:59 +0200, Jerome Lacoste a écrit :
> > Enjoy Skype ;)
>
> I do. I mean it's either skype or the phone bill :)
> But I can't wait to get an OSS replacement with the same easiness of
> use.

ie a replacement to GnomeMeeting and Skype. Even if you get one, you
won't use it, just because the windows people are using Skype. Or
perhaps you mean an Open Source Skype client? It is as bad than running
the original client as you would still be using a proprietary protocol.

> Anyone knows what's happening on the side of the SIP/H323 standards with
> regards to NAT? Any planned standard enhancements?

The problem is not with SIP or H.323. The problem is with NAT itself.
The day when the Linux Kernel and most hardware routers will natively
support SIP (or H.323), then you will have no problem to go through NAT
with software like GnomeMeeting.

Perhaps it is too late for H.323, but most hardware routers start
supporting SIP natively, which means that you can be behind that router,
and call anybody without any problem. Of course, at least one port
forward is still required if you want to be able to receive incoming
calls.

As for GnomeMeeting and H.323, we provide several ways of going through
NAT in the CVS version :
- Using a STUN server, if your router supports any type of NAT except
Symmetric NAT (the linux case)
- Using a gatekeeper (if I had money, I would pay for a public one)
- Using IP tranlsation and port forwarding
- If you are calling a GnomeMeeting user on a public IP, or behind NAT
with IP translation, you don't need to be configured anymore, it will
cross the NAT.

Finally, FWD is providing public SIP outbound proxies, which means that
people can use them with SIP clients allowing to transparently go
through NAT without any configuration *even* if your NAT doesn't support
SIP. That's equivalent to the gatekeeper case above.

> I wonder why Microsoft doesn't get their own product...

They probably understood that there is no future if they do not support
standards for VoIP. At least, I hope.

//\     FOSDEM      : http://www.fosdem.org