Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Re: GnomeMeeting 1.2 and Skype

I've used SKype and the audio quality sounds good, but no better than
(say) OpenH323 using iLBC 15.2kbps

It was also not apparent to me that Skype has anything special as far as
echo suppression. I use a headset for my VoIP calls, which means there
is no audio feedback on my end, but I can still hear a slight echo of my
own voice from the other end.

What *was* nice about the Skype client is that it worked first time from
behind my Linux NAT, with no special configuration needed. I've heard
reports of others that are not so lucky, but I have to admit that was
pretty cool.

   Craig

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 13:38:47 +0200
Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com> wrote:

> Hello Joao,
>
> Having echo cancellation in GnomeMeeting has been on the TODO list for
> long.
>
> However, I'm a bit suprised by what you are telling me about the audio
> quality because it is using iLBC just as GnomeMeeting is, so I don't see
> how the audio quality could be superior.
>
> I'll try by myself, I'm not a victim (yet) of their marketing system.
>
> Le mercredi 06 octobre 2004 à 12:31 +0100, Joao Fraga a écrit :
> > Hi Damien
> >
> > Regarding your comments about Skype, I agree with you on the matter of
> > locking users to a proprietary protocol.
> > But on the technical side, I must admit that Skype is excellent. The
> > audio quality is very good, better than anything I've seen so far. And,
> > most important of all, it cancels echo! I was amazed to be able to talk
> > without using headphones. And I mean both parties not using headphones!
> >
> > Gnomemeeting has still some major advantages: it has video, it is
> > open-source, and it uses an open protocol. I just wished it cancelled
> > echo...

 Craig Southeren      craigs postincrement com / craigs voxgratia org

 Phone:  +61 243654666      ICQ: #86852844
 Fax:    +61 243673140      MSN: craig_southeren hotmail com
 Mobile: +61 417231046   Jabber: craigs jabber voxgratia org

 Post Increment - Consulting & Services    http://www.postincrement.com
 Vox Gratia - The Open Source VoIP portal  http://www.voxgratia.org
 Raving Of A Strange Mind - the VoIP blog  http://www.southeren.com/blog