Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Re: GnomeMeeting 1.2 and Skype

On Sat, 2004-10-09 at 18:15 +0200, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Le samedi 09 octobre 2004 à 16:14 +0200, Jerome Lacoste a écrit :
> > On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 23:30 +1000, Craig Southeren wrote:
> > > I've used SKype and the audio quality sounds good, but no better than
> > > (say) OpenH323 using iLBC 15.2kbps
> >
> > The audio in Skype sounded better than what I had with GnomeMeeting, but
> > maybe it is due to codec selection. I don't remember using iLBC in GM.
> >

> I think you have to compare things in the same situation, ie with the
> same correspondant, who has the same upload speed, and without video in
> both directions.

The problem is that there are not many persons with who I can try both
GM and Skype :)
Because either they run Windows, either they run Linux and they are geek
enough to have several machines and a NAT setup which sometimes they
don't configure to let

So appart for talking with my parents, with who GM is better than skype
(but their skype sound is the most horrible I've ever heard), the rest
of the people I talk with use Skype.

> Enjoy Skype ;)

I do. I mean it's either skype or the phone bill :)
But I can't wait to get an OSS replacement with the same easiness of
use.

Anyone knows what's happening on the side of the SIP/H323 standards with
regards to NAT? Any planned standard enhancements?

I wonder why Microsoft doesn't get their own product...

Jerome