Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] webcam & audio conflict

Hi Anne & Kilian,
Anne Wilson wrote:

On Tuesday 27 Jul 2004 09:27, Kilian Krause wrote:
Hi Chris,

Excuse me for jumping in, but my problems and yours may well be related.
you are welcome to join .. ;-))

1) It does not look (from modules.conf) that I am using any OSS driver
for the mic's web
the audio module is being loaded by the usbmgr (or hotplug script), so
plug in your cam and check the output of lsmod. If there's an "audio"
entry, but no "snd-usb-audio", then that one is the OSS driver, and
should be the ALSA one.

Sound configuration is somewhat distro-specific an i don't know what MdK
uses for dirs and stuff. Probably Anne Wilson can tell. She's on MdK 10
too. ;)

I'll help as much as I can.  Just tell me what you need to know.

2) Let assume  it is the case, how the OSS driver is loaded ? can I
prevent it being loaded ( I don't need the webcam
s mic after all !)
Depends on your config of usbmgr/hotplug. Check the package's docs on
details how to blacklist a module.

I'm not clear myself here, and I think it is probably relevant. In general terms the 2.6 kernel loads modules from modprobe.preload rather than modules.config, but I did note before I started to have this problem that the emu10k1 drivers for my card seem to be loaded from modules.conf. Someone then said that I should add the lines

options snd-usb-audio index=0
options snd-emu10k1 index=1

but I'm not sure whether that goes in modules.conf or modprobe.preload. Apparently these lines are to deal with hotplugging.

Perhaps Killian could use generalities to clear up this for us?
My /etc/modprobe.preload file is quiet empty:
via-agp

and every changes from Mdk drakeconf (graphic config tools) apparently goes to module.conf.

3) Apparently , I have the OSS-emulation of ALSA (snd-pcm-oss) , could
it be any other reasons ?
hard to tell. But going upstream Mandrake and searching for support
there comes to mind. They're said to have a user-mailinglist where you
could ask.

I am discussing this problem on the Mandrake Expert list. I suggest that you join us there. You need to send a message to sympa linux-mandrake com with the subject line saying 'SUBSCRIBE expert'

It's best to talk to experts on both sides of the equation.
Ok thanks Anne, I'll join you tomorrow , cause it's 2.30am (San Francisco time)

4) Is there any "snd-usb-audio" like for ALSA I can use ?
snd-usb-audio is the ALSA module. ;)

HTH

Anne
- -- Registered Linux User No.293302