Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] webcam & audio conflict

On Tuesday 27 Jul 2004 09:27, Kilian Krause wrote:
> Hi Chris,

Excuse me for jumping in, but my problems and yours may well be related.

> > 1) It does not look (from modules.conf) that I am using any OSS driver
> > for the mic's web
>
> the audio module is being loaded by the usbmgr (or hotplug script), so
> plug in your cam and check the output of lsmod. If there's an "audio"
> entry, but no "snd-usb-audio", then that one is the OSS driver, and
> should be the ALSA one.
>
> Sound configuration is somewhat distro-specific an i don't know what MdK
> uses for dirs and stuff. Probably Anne Wilson can tell. She's on MdK 10
> too. ;)

I'll help as much as I can.  Just tell me what you need to know.

> > 2) Let assume  it is the case, how the OSS driver is loaded ? can I
> > prevent it being loaded ( I don't need the webcam
> > s mic after all !)
>
> Depends on your config of usbmgr/hotplug. Check the package's docs on
> details how to blacklist a module.

I'm not clear myself here, and I think it is probably relevant.  In general
terms the 2.6 kernel loads modules from modprobe.preload rather than
modules.config, but I did note before I started to have this problem that the
emu10k1 drivers for my card seem to be loaded from modules.conf.  Someone
then said that I should add the lines

options snd-usb-audio index=0
options snd-emu10k1 index=1

but I'm not sure whether that goes in modules.conf or modprobe.preload.
Apparently these lines are to deal with hotplugging.

Perhaps Killian could use generalities to clear up this for us?

> > 3) Apparently , I have the OSS-emulation of ALSA (snd-pcm-oss) , could
> > it be any other reasons ?
>
> hard to tell. But going upstream Mandrake and searching for support
> there comes to mind. They're said to have a user-mailinglist where you
> could ask.

I am discussing this problem on the Mandrake Expert list.  I suggest that you
join us there.  You need to send a message to sympa linux-mandrake com with
the subject line saying 'SUBSCRIBE	expert'

It's best to talk to experts on both sides of the equation.

> > 4) Is there any "snd-usb-audio" like for ALSA I can use ?
>
> snd-usb-audio is the ALSA module. ;)

HTH

Anne
- --