Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Enforcing half-duplex?

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Josep Puigdemont wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 10:41, Kilian Krause wrote:
> > Am Fr, den 06.02.2004 schrieb Mihai T. Lazarescu um 10:34:
> > > Is it possible to enforce a half-duplex communication at
> > > GM level?  Something that mutes the local speakers if the
> > > level on the mic is above a given level with respect to what's
> > > received from peer and mutes the mic otherwise?
> >
> > nope, but how about starting alsa-mixer and unchecking "record"?
> > Moreover in the GM Control Panel you should see a volume slider for the
> > mic.. if theory is correct that one should be able to tune your
> > recording volume... *g*
>
> Alternatively you can suspend/resume audio transmission at will during a
> conversation, there's a button on the GUI for that ;-)
> Not very practical if one has to do it very often, though :/

The idea behind my question is to make GM behave as a
speakerphone for meetings over IP between two groups of people.

Tweaking alsa-mixer or record volume is of no use, since the
other party talk will be ideally heard by the local mic as
loud as the local people speaking.

Delegating one of the participants per side to click on/off
audio is also not practical. :)

As far as I remember, there was an openmcu option to switch
only the loudest source on, only one at a time.  I was looking
for something like this without setting up openmcu... ;)

Thanks for trying to help!

Mihai