Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Runs as root but not as user

On Wednesday 10 Sep 2003 9:58 pm, Stefan Bruens wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 10. September 2003 22:03 schrieb Anne Wilson:
> > On Wednesday 10 Sep 2003 8:07 pm, PUYDT Julien wrote:
> > > Then no wonder the error message is the same: change the perms
> > > to a more sensible 660, and the owner to root:video, and that
> > > should work.
> >
> > OK - now it's
> > [root anne-linux anne]# ls -l /dev/v4l/
> > total 0
> > crw-rw----    1 root     video     81,   0 Jan  1  1970 video0
> >

> > If I launch as root I have a picture.  If I launch as anne I
> > still get the same message
> >
> > Later...
> >
> > I've just discovered that I can change owner, group and perms,
> > and they list ok, but if I log out and back in they have
> > reverted.  I must be missing something vital here, and perhaps
> > that's what's causing the problems.
>
> This is done in accordance to /etc/logindevperm.
>
> As you said, the directory /dev/v4l belongs to root.video, check
> that the _directory_ /dev/v4l is accessible by users belonging to
> group video, so this should be 750 for the directory and 660 for
> the device.
>
> Make shure to change /etc/logindevperm accordingly.
>
> Stefan

Stefan, /etc/logindevperm doesn't exist in a Mandrake setup, so I had
to guess. I set the permissions I wanted in
/etc/security/msec/perm.local, which overrides the more general
permission settings in msec, then rebooted.  The directory /dev/v4l
is now root.video 750, but I cannot change the /dev/v4l/video* owner
which still shows as anne, although the group as changed to video,
and permissions are 750. No matter what I do, it reverts to owner
anne, permissions 750. I don't understand why it is not being read
from /etc/security/msec/perm.local.  The current lines in that file
are:
/dev/v4l/	root.video	750
/dev/v4l/video0  root.video	660

I am trying to achieve what you have all said are optimal settings,
but shouldn't the settings that I have now allow me access anyway?  I
am still getting the same error message.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302