[GnomeMeeting-list] Runs as root but not as user

I have read the FAQ and browsed the archives, but can't find anything
that relates to this.

I am using a Philips webcam, and if I run GM as root I have picture,
but running as a user gets the 'Error while opening video device'
message.  Since it runs as root, I presume this is a permissions
problem, but I don't know where to look.

ls -l /dev/video*
shows

lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           10 Sep  5 17:11 /dev/video ->
v4l/video0
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           10 Sep  5 17:11 /dev/video0 ->
v4l/video0

I have been told that this is correct.

ls -l /dev/v4l/video*
shows
crw-------    1 anne     sys       81,   0 Jan  1  1970
/dev/v4l/video0

I have followed the instructions in FAQ 8.5 to chmod
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/

I am running Mandrake 9.1, with
GnomeMeeting-0.98.0-1js
openh323-1.12.0-1