Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Runs as root but not as user

 --- Anne Wilson <cannewilson tiscali co uk> wrote:
> I am trying to achieve what you have all said are
> optimal settings, but shouldn't the settings that I
> have now allow me access anyway?  I am still getting
> the same error message.

Doesn't Mandrake use devfs? In which case the devfsd
program might be resetting the permissions behind your
back...

Check /proc/mounts to see if you have the device
filesystem mounted on /dev.

If you do then check whether you have a /dev-state
directory (or similar). This directory acts as a
"permissions database" for the dynamic devfs device
nodes, and so there might be a /dev-state/v4l/video0
node which needs changing as well.

Alternatively, devfs can create device nodes which can
"magically" change ownership when you open them, and
revert to -rw-rw-rw- root:root when you're done. But
you say that you can't open the node in the first
place, so I'm a bit dubious about this one.

Anyway, just my thoughts.
Cheers,
Chris