Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Runs as root but not as user

Am Donnerstag, 11. September 2003 11:35 schrieb Anne Wilson:
> On Wednesday 10 Sep 2003 9:58 pm, Stefan Bruens wrote:
> > >
> > > OK - now it's
> > > [root anne-linux anne]# ls -l /dev/v4l/
> > > total 0
> > > crw-rw----    1 root     video     81,   0 Jan  1  1970 video0
> > >

> > > If I launch as root I have a picture.  If I launch as anne I
> > > still get the same message
> > >
> > > Later...
> > >
> > > I've just discovered that I can change owner, group and perms,
> > > and they list ok, but if I log out and back in they have
> > > reverted.  I must be missing something vital here, and perhaps
> > > that's what's causing the problems.
> >
> > This is done in accordance to /etc/logindevperm.
> >
> > As you said, the directory /dev/v4l belongs to root.video, check
> > that the _directory_ /dev/v4l is accessible by users belonging to
> > group video, so this should be 750 for the directory and 660 for
> > the device.
> >
> > Make shure to change /etc/logindevperm accordingly.
> >
> > Stefan
>
> Stefan, /etc/logindevperm doesn't exist in a Mandrake setup, so I had
> to guess. I set the permissions I wanted in
> /etc/security/msec/perm.local, which overrides the more general
> permission settings in msec, then rebooted.  The directory /dev/v4l
> is now root.video 750, but I cannot change the /dev/v4l/video* owner
> which still shows as anne, although the group as changed to video,
> and permissions are 750. No matter what I do, it reverts to owner
> anne, permissions 750. I don't understand why it is not being read
> from /etc/security/msec/perm.local.  The current lines in that file
> are:
> /dev/v4l/	root.video	750
> /dev/v4l/video0  root.video	660
>
> I am trying to achieve what you have all said are optimal settings,
> but shouldn't the settings that I have now allow me access anyway?  I
> am still getting the same error message.
>
> Anne

What is the result of "ls -la /proc/video/dev/"? This has to be readable to
find the devices, too.

If the settings seem to be correct, try starting gm with
"strace -eopen -o gm.out gnomemeeting"
Start it, wait till the error messages has appeared, and quit gm. Then open
gm.out with less (or any other pager or editor) and search for "video". This
should you give some hints what gm is trying to do.

Stefan

--
Stefan Brüns  /  Kastanienweg 6 - Zimmer 1206  /  52074 Aachen
mailto:lurch gmx li  http://www.kawo1.rwth-aachen.de/~lurchi/