Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Runs as root but not as user

Am Mittwoch, 10. September 2003 22:03 schrieb Anne Wilson:
> On Wednesday 10 Sep 2003 8:07 pm, PUYDT Julien wrote:
> > Then no wonder the error message is the same: change the perms to a
> > more sensible 660, and the owner to root:video, and that should
> > work.
>
> OK - now it's
> [root anne-linux anne]# ls -l /dev/v4l/
> total 0
> crw-rw----    1 root     video     81,   0 Jan  1  1970 video0
>

> If I launch as root I have a picture.  If I launch as anne I still get
> the same message
>
> Later...
>
> I've just discovered that I can change owner, group and perms, and
> they list ok, but if I log out and back in they have reverted.  I
> must be missing something vital here, and perhaps that's what's
> causing the problems.

This is done in accordance to /etc/logindevperm.

As you said, the directory /dev/v4l belongs to root.video, check  that the
_directory_ /dev/v4l is accessible by users belonging to group video, so this
should be 750 for the directory and 660 for the device.

Make shure to change /etc/logindevperm accordingly.

Stefan

--
Stefan Brüns  /  Kastanienweg 6 - Zimmer 1206  /  52074 Aachen
mailto:lurch gmx li  http://www.kawo1.rwth-aachen.de/~lurchi/