Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] More webcam problems

On Wednesday 05 Nov 2003 7:50 pm, Norman wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 Nov 2003 17:10, Anne Wilson wrote:

> To get the modules to load I added these 2 lines at the end of
> /etc/rc.local :
>
> modprobe ovcamchip
> modprobe ov511 compress=1
>
> I then re-booted and, as long as I su to root and then run
> gnomemeeting it works.

Which is exactly where I was before I solved the permissions problem.

> btw Anne this is with Mandrake 9.2 kernel 2.4.22-10mdk and patched
> with win4lin which is launched at present and I am still
> receiving the video stream from gnomemeeting.

That sounds good - I haven't installed 9.2 yet, but I run 9.1 +
Win4Lin, and it's working fine as user now.

> I looked at the web page you set up and I edited
> /etc/security/msec/perm.local as follows, to control msec's
> resetting of permissions.
> /dev/v4l/ root.video 770
> /dev/v4l/video0 root.video 770
> /dev/video0 root.users 770
> This did no good even after a re-boot.
>
> man msec has a section which says :
>  If you want to make  changes  to  the  current  level,  use
> /etc/security/msec/perm.local  to  override  the
> permissions/owners/groups
> and
> /etc/security/msec/level.local to override the  rules  (see
> mseclib(3) for details).
> So I am about to look at that next.

The next bit on the web page says:

If there are still problems with msec overwriting the permissions, try
editing /etc/security/console.perms. There will be a line that reads
something like

    * 0600 0600 root.sys

Edit that and save. It may be necessary to reboot before it becomes
active.

This is what finally get me going.  Change that line to the perms and
owner/group that works for you.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302