Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] More webcam problems

On Wednesday 05 Nov 2003 17:10, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 Nov 2003 2:36 pm, Norman wrote:
> > On Tuesday 04 Nov 2003 23:44, Christian Burger wrote:
> > > This is clearly a driver problem.
> > >  This is NOT a permissions issue, trust me.
>
>I had conversations with the author, Mark
> McClelland <mark alpha dyndns org> and towards the end of the
> conversation he came to the conclusion that there was a problem
> with it when working with GnomeMeeting.  He did say that he
> would fix it and put it on his web site, but I haven't been
> back there recently.  It's worth checking out.
>
> > I did modprobe ovcamchip and now it works!!!!
> > ......  BUT ...... only as root for now.
>
> That sounds like the permissions problem that we had.  You need
> to get the owner/group right, and make sure that the perms are
> sticking.
>
> Be careful.  I have found that doing the automatic install at
> bootup caused me a problem, but manually doing it afterwards
> didn't.  Damien said that it shouldn't make any difference, so
> I can only guess that there is another factor in there that I
> haven't sussed yet.

To get the modules to load I added these 2 lines at the end of
/etc/rc.local :

modprobe ovcamchip
modprobe ov511 compress=1

I then re-booted and, as long as I su to root and then run
gnomemeeting it works.

btw Anne this is with Mandrake 9.2 kernel 2.4.22-10mdk and patched
with win4lin which is launched at present and I am still
receiving the video stream from gnomemeeting.

> For now, I've just set up a text file that
> reminds me of the exact command to use.
>
> Anne
I looked at the web page you set up and I edited
/etc/security/msec/perm.local as follows, to control msec's
resetting of permissions.
/dev/v4l/ root.video 770
/dev/v4l/video0 root.video 770
/dev/video0 root.users 770
This did no good even after a re-boot.

man msec has a section which says :
 If you want to make  changes  to  the  current  level,  use
/etc/security/msec/perm.local  to  override  the
permissions/owners/groups
and
/etc/security/msec/level.local to override the  rules  (see
mseclib(3) for details).
So I am about to look at that next.
best wishes,
Norman