Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] More webcam problems

> > btw Anne this is with Mandrake 9.2 kernel 2.4.22-10mdk and
> > patched with win4lin which is launched at present and I am
> > still receiving the video stream from gnomemeeting.
>
> That sounds good - I haven't installed 9.2 yet, but I run 9.1 +
> Win4Lin, and it's working fine as user now.
>
> > I looked at the web page you set up and I edited
> > /etc/security/msec/perm.local as follows, to control msec's
> > resetting of permissions.
> > /dev/v4l/ root.video 770
> > /dev/v4l/video0 root.video 770
> > /dev/video0 root.users 770
> > This did no good even after a re-boot.
> >
> > man msec has a section which says :
> >  If you want to make  changes  to  the  current  level,  use
> > /etc/security/msec/perm.local  to  override  the
> > permissions/owners/groups
> > and
> > /etc/security/msec/level.local to override the  rules  (see
> > mseclib(3) for details).
> > So I am about to look at that next.
>
> The next bit on the web page says:
>
> If there are still problems with msec overwriting the
> permissions, try editing /etc/security/console.perms. There
> will be a line that reads something like
>
>     * 0600 0600 root.sys
>
> Edit that and save. It may be necessary to reboot before it
> becomes active.
>
> This is what finally get me going.  Change that line to the
> perms and owner/group that works for you.
>
> Anne
This didn't work. There was a similar line and I edited that but
still no good.
I also found a line which read :
<v4l>=/dev/video* /dev/radio* /dev/winradio* /dev/vtx* /dev/vbi* \
      /dev/video/* /dev/vttuner /dev/rtc
and I altered that to read :
<v4l>=/dev/video* /dev/radio* /dev/winradio* /dev/vtx* /dev/vbi* \
/dev/video/* /dev/vttuner /dev/rtc /dev/v4l /dev/v4l/* \
/dev/v4l/video*

then ran msec without parameters then did :

chown root.video /dev/v4l
chown root.video /dev/v4l/video0
 and then it worked.
I then re-booted to make sure and it still worked.

I have left it running for now to see if I do get problems after
all but at present it looks like the help you have all given has
worked and I have learnt a little more about Linux.
thanks again,
Norman