Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Connection to servers

> I think the best solution for the whole ILS mess is to use an open
> source gatekeeper and get it to output a list of users registered.
>
> opengk already has a html admin interface - with it you can see who is
> registered (and unregister them etc) It could easily modified to:
>      1. output a new html page with h323:// links (and no unregister
>         links)
>      2. outout a xml page that gnomemeeting could use to do its
>         addressbook
>
> Another approach which I started to work on hacked the ndk and pretended
> to be an ils server but really just returned current people on the
> gatekeeper.  It was a bit ugly.
>
> ils is bad - it is time to drop it and go to more standard approaches.

I fully agree that ILS is bad, and I already have thought replacing it a
lot of time, but I see some problems with the Gatekeeper approach :
1) Basing the list of users on the html output of opengk is not better
than ILS because we replace one broken standard by something
non-standard and specific to one type of gatekeeper and to gnomemeeting
2) GnomeMeeting currently is based on H.323, but SIP is planned in the
future. Gatekeepers are H.323-only while ILS is neutral and could have
all types of users registered and callable (H.323 only, SIP only, H.323
and SIP)

If we want to replace ILS, the best imho is to migrate to pure LDAP for
the online directory.
(o-
//\     It-Optics s.a.
        FOSDEM 2004:  http://www.fosdem.org