Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Connection to servers

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 19:54, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Le lun 08/12/2003 à 10:58, daniel huhardeaux a écrit :
> > >
> > >It is extremely unprobable that such a feature appears in the next
> > >release except if someone external codes it or if I code faster than
> > >what I think. The ideal would be to have a list of possible ILS servers
> > >in the prefs, not in the addressbook as it would be more intuitive.
> > >

> > So my request isn't so stupid :-) I mention addressbook while when I'm
> > looking for someone, I right clic on loocking for and have what I want
> > (my ils servers are all created there). So it's easier than to go in
> > prefs and ask which server GM has to use. And imagine that one of your
>
> There are 2 different things here :
> - the servers you want to browse for remote contacts : they are in the
> addressbook
> - the servers you want to register to : they are in the preferences
>
> > contact is also connected to 2 or more ils server. In this case, if you
> > want to contact it, you have to check one by one on which he's
> > connected! But perhaps you mean to create a prefered list in prefs and
>
> Seriously, do you know many people registering to several ILS servers at
> the same time?

Polycom viavideo software lets you do this easily.

> I'm not sure how you proposed idea would solve the
> problem you are describing by the way (ie having to double-click on each
> of his callto addresses to see if he is registered or not)
>
> > then this list is available in servers addressbook list and from there
> > we can connect. So in this case ok ;-) And for Gatekeeper, could it be
>
> If we allow registering to several ILS servers, those ILS servers will
> automatically be added to the addressbook, that sounds logical.
>
> We could also have something more complicated from a code point of view
> :
> - Right-clicking on a server in teh addressbook brings a "properties
> popup".
> - Enabling registering in that popup would add the server in the list in
> the prefs. Disabling registering in that popup would remove the server
> in the list in the prefs.
>
> I think that is the ideal solution, but I don't plan to code such a
> thing before 1.00 because time is lacking and I still have much to do
> (and most people only register to one server at a time).
>
> > also possible to list them there, also with connected endpoints listed?
> >

> Unfortunately H.323 gatekeepers do not allow to list connected
> endpoints. If it was permitted we would have replaced ILS servers by
> gatekeepers a long time ago, because ILS is not that great.

I think the best solution for the whole ILS mess is to use an open
source gatekeeper and get it to output a list of users registered.

opengk already has a html admin interface - with it you can see who is
registered (and unregister them etc) It could easily modified to:
     1. output a new html page with h323:// links (and no unregister
        links)
     2. outout a xml page that gnomemeeting could use to do its
        addressbook

Another approach which I started to work on hacked the ndk and pretended
to be an ils server but really just returned current people on the
gatekeeper.  It was a bit ugly.

ils is bad - it is time to drop it and go to more standard approaches.