RE: [GnomeMeeting-list] Gnome Meeting 0.94.0

fre 2002-11-22 klockan 10.21 skrev Damien Sandras:
> > The files on the SuSE sight for Gnome2 are now on my computer. So how do I
> > install all of them without getting the dependancy problems!
> >
> > 'Gasp... --nodeps and you wonder why it fails?' tells me nothing.
>
> Well, it means that when you install a package with --nodeps, you can
> have several problems because you won't be warned that you broke
> dependancies and thus that your system is broken. Respecting
> dependancies is very important. A package won't work if deps are broken.

Much agreed. Dependencies are there for a reason. If you want to handle
dependencies manually and use --nodeps, it's assumed that you know what
you're doing, since you can break your system severely if you install
software without respecting their dependencies.
But using --nodeps should almost never be necessary, so if you think you
need it but you are not sure, think again.

> Some GNU/Linux distributions provide tools that make the dependancies
> automatically solved. For example, under Debian, all you have to do is
> "apt-get install gnomemeeting", and wait. A few minutes later,
> GnomeMeeting will be installed and running without your intervention.

Or use "up2date gnomemeeting" on a Red Hat system, or use apt-rpm, or
urpmi on a Mandrake system, etc... Basically every distribution these
days have a method of installing software and their dependencies
automatically.

Christian