RE: [GnomeMeeting-list] Gnome Meeting 0.94.0

Le ven 22/11/2002 à 04:50, David Dunster a écrit :
> Okay, well, being really new to Linux I was unable to install the packages I
> downloaded because just about everyone complained about dependencies. I
> tried something from the book.
>
> SuSE didn't install OpenLDAP or SDL so I had it install them. It also didn't
> install 'iso_ent', 'sgml-skel' or 'pkgconfig'. This I had to get YaST to
> install.
>
> The files on the SuSE sight for Gnome2 are now on my computer. So how do I
> install all of them without getting the dependancy problems!
>
> 'Gasp... --nodeps and you wonder why it fails?' tells me nothing.

Well, it means that when you install a package with --nodeps, you can
have several problems because you won't be warned that you broke
dependancies and thus that your system is broken. Respecting
dependancies is very important. A package won't work if deps are broken.

Some GNU/Linux distributions provide tools that make the dependancies
automatically solved. For example, under Debian, all you have to do is
"apt-get install gnomemeeting", and wait. A few minutes later,
GnomeMeeting will be installed and running without your intervention.

PS: I don't want to start a distribution war, all distributions have
their advantages and disadvantages and other distributions than Debian
provide similar tools.
--
 _	Damien Sandras
//\	FOSDEM 2003:  http://www.fosdem.org