Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] I want my users advice

On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 10:41:38PM +0100, Christian Rose wrote:

> Lots of applications have preferences that can be changed and applied
> during runtime. This is a *very* strange excuse for a Preferences
> toolbar button... I don't get it.

Seriously, when you are in a communication with somebody, I think that
there must be a quick way to change things if settings are not well-suited
for the current communication.

> Maybe you are saying that there will be video settings that users are
> likely to want to change during a call. But then these
> likely-to-be-changed-during-a-call settings probably don't belong in the
> Preferences panel, but in your "control panel" in the interface. After
> all, I assume you created this panel for settings likely to be changed
> during a call in the first place?

Not at all, the control panel is only to control the devices
and have an history.
Most of the options of GnomeMeeting will be able to change on the fly during calls
and duplicate 20 options in the control panel makes no sense.

> > * For the toolbars :
> > 	- They will be togglable with the view menu
>
> Great. They should not however be vertical.

If GTK and Gnome permit to have vertical toolbars, I do not see why there shouldn't
be a vertical toolbar. And there will be one. Point. That discussion will need to nothing.

For me, having a wide and narrow application with empty space around the video
window is a design fault. And for me again, design is as much important as usability.
Usability is a consequence of a good design of the UI.
And I do not see how having a unique horizontal toolbar without a preferences button
for quick access to the prefs could be more usable as the 2 toolbars view.
I understand that you don't agree though, but you have to try to understand my opinion too.

> > 	- Everything in the main interface will be dockable everywhere you want
>
> Also great. The default should not however be vertical.

Why ? Please concretely tell me WHY it is less useable?

> > 	- I think that I will remain with my idea of the vertical toolbar because
> > 	I think that the HIG and the rest have not been thought for small video
> > 	applications like GnomeMeeting.
>
> The HIG is a set of very broad recommendations that are designed so that
> they are general and fit most applications. I find it strange that you
> refuse to believe that the recommendations also apply to GnomeMeeting.
> There are a lot of also small applications in Gnome, GnomeMeeting is no
> exception.

Examples of small application that are bad designed because they are wide and narrow
with plenty of empty space in it ?
I don't want GnomeMeeting to become that bad designed application, because I don't understand
why a vertical toolbar would be difficult to use even for people with a very low IQ.

> > My first try was to have a unique toolbar with the URL in it (like Galeon), but
> > the application was very wide, and had a small height and it hurted my eyes because
> > of the empty space around the video window. Moreover it seems to be
> > very intuitive for me to have those buttons on the right to popup the
> > new chat window and other things for which I want a direct access.
>
> One question: Why don't you make GnomeMeeting resizable? Then those
> people who feel ill by too much empty space can have it the way they
> want it too.

Video Size is fixed by H323. Currently it support CIF and QCIF.
Making GnomeMeeting resizable woudl make no sense.

> Also, I'm not arguing about the Chat button, it will no doubt be an
> important function of GnomeMeeting. But the Preferences aren't an
> essential function of GnomeMeeting in the same way. People don't shout
> "Hooray, today I found an application that let's me change
> GnomeMeeting's Preferences, it's called GnomeMeeting!". I hope you
> understand the difference.

Not really. Again and again, when you are in a call, you need a quick access
to change the preferences while you are talking. Really try the CVS of GnomeMeeting
one of those days, and you will understand that.

Anyway, I don't want to look like a dictator, but it will be my last mail to the mailing
list about that topic.

Most people prefer the new design to the old one.
My choice will be choice 2, with the control panel hidden by default. It seems to be the most
common choice. And everything will be dockable.

I maintain that having a wide toolbar will lead to a bad designed application.
And I maintain that I want a quick access to the preferences when Im in a call.