Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Windows Netmeeting compatibility

> > In my experience I've found KDE to be a lot faster on my hardware, much of
> > which is old and slow.  Of course, it's been some time since I tried Gnome
> > so it could be that it's faster now.
>
> Nautilus is really sloooow :)

I've heard that, but I've never used it.

> Yes, but it is easy in GTK too. It depends of what you have to develop.
> If you want to develop in C, or to develop an application using PERL,
> then GTK is the way to go. If you want to develop an application, then
> use QT.

This would probably be in C++ although I have to say that I'm starting to
get fed up with g++ 3.0 and how slow it is.  My time is valuable enough to
me that sitting around all day waiting for an app to compile does not make
me happy.  That's another story though ;-)

> My dream is that KDE and Gnome applications run on both desktop. I'm
> really happy to have KDE users, and we do our best for KDE support in
> gnomemeeting.  That's why, for example, KDE users can enjoy to have a
> small docklet in the KDE systray. What I think that is sad, is to create
> a clone of a KDE application for the Gnome desktop, or the reverse.

Agreed, I'd like to see the efforts in making the best apps work well on
either platform, and/or in starting a new desktop that integrates the best
concepts of both.

> But well, again, it is discussable, there are a lot of applications to do
> the same things under KDE and Gnome, and most of users use the best. The
> Gnome vs KDE war has no sense. People have to choose what best suits
> their need(s). That's the big advantage of free software.

True, but I too use Debian (I'm a Debian developer in fact) and I can see
the first time I install dia or gnumeric how many dependencies there are.
It makes me cringe ;-)  Hence the desire for One True Platform or better
interoperability between the two.

> For your problem, yes, perhaps is it a bug in pwlib. I don't really know
> as I don't have your camera... I can't test here. But having a KDE
> project will not fix that problem.

I didn't state an opinion about this before - I will now.  Having a
separate netmeeting client for KDE and gnome is silly and possibly a waste
of resources.  My statement about pwlib was just to say that I'm KDE user
who is potentially going to be using gnomemeeting - that's all.

The reason I say it's "possibly" a waste of resources is that I've never
had a good feel for how interoperable components for each system really
are.  If I wanted to paste a gnomemeeting window into a kword document,
could I do it?  How about if there was a "kmeeting", would it be possible?
Having applications that can interoperate is probably a Good Thing, and I
don't know how much gnome apps can interoperate with KDE apps.

> For example, when I add a functionnality to OpenH323 (I added the ability
> recently to change the video quality and the background fill and the
> jitter buffer during calls), I do it for gnomemeeting, for Equivalence,
> but also for the KDE project which will use OpenH323. I just hope that
> they will do the same to improve our mother project :)

Definitely!

Later,
	Dale
--