Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Windows Netmeeting compatibility

> It is a matter of taste.

Let's take this as fact up front - then we won't feel the need to have a
flame war and can have a nice friendly discussion about the two.

> I think that the best applications are always present first in GTK and/or
> for Gnome. There are several examples, like Gimp (GTK), Galeon (GTK),
> Evolution (GTK/Gnome), GnomeMeeting (hum hum hum ;), ...

I'd actually say that I like Konqueror better than Galeon (Galeon is nice
too of course), and I'd add gnumeric to the lists of excellent apps
available for gnome.

> I think that the architecture under Gnome 2 will be excellent.  But it is
> your choice to choose between KDE or Gnome. Many users use GnomeMeeting
> under KDE (like Enzo, or Jeff Mills, ...) and do not see any need to have
> a KDE application.

As you know, I've been attempting to use gnome meeting but I'm having a
difficult time because my hardware seems to be uncovering bugs in pwlib.
I'll get back on that today if possible...  Anyways, I use KDE currently
and I'd be someone using gnome-meeting under KDE.

> But again, it is a matter of taste. My advice is that Gnome is more
> beautiful, faster, and that's what I like. Moreover GTK has a lot of
> language bindings (PHP, Python, Perl, ...) and not QT.

In my experience I've found KDE to be a lot faster on my hardware, much of
which is old and slow.  Of course, it's been some time since I tried Gnome
so it could be that it's faster now.

As far as beauty goes, I love having anti-aliased fonts everywhere in KDE
and I have to say that using them in Konqueror finally makes browsing in
Linux look as nice as it does in Windows.  But again, it wouldn't surprise
me if you said that Gnome was going to be all AA in the next release.

Since QT is GPLed, would you say that argument has become a bit of a red
herring?  Again, I'm not wanting a flame war, but a bit of friendly
discussion.  I too have some GUI stuff that I need to develop and I've
always had some draw to gnome philosophically, but I've found that KDE
works better for me out of the box.  Lastly, I've heard that developing
apps in QT is really nice and very easy.

Later,
	Dale
--
Dale E. Martin, Clifton Labs, Inc.