Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Windows Netmeeting compatibility

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 08:18:08AM -0500, Dale E Martin wrote:
> > It is a matter of taste.
>
> Let's take this as fact up front - then we won't feel the need to have a
> flame war and can have a nice friendly discussion about the two.

:-)

> In my experience I've found KDE to be a lot faster on my hardware, much of
> which is old and slow.  Of course, it's been some time since I tried Gnome
> so it could be that it's faster now.

Nautilus is really sloooow :)

> As far as beauty goes, I love having anti-aliased fonts everywhere in KDE
> and I have to say that using them in Konqueror finally makes browsing in
> Linux look as nice as it does in Windows.  But again, it wouldn't surprise
> me if you said that Gnome was going to be all AA in the next release.
>
> Since QT is GPLed, would you say that argument has become a bit of a red
> herring?  Again, I'm not wanting a flame war, but a bit of friendly
> discussion.  I too have some GUI stuff that I need to develop and I've
> always had some draw to gnome philosophically, but I've found that KDE
> works better for me out of the box.  Lastly, I've heard that developing
> apps in QT is really nice and very easy.

Yes, but it is easy in GTK too. It depends of what you have to develop.
If you want to develop in C, or to develop an application using PERL, then
GTK is the way to go. If you want to develop an application, then use QT.

My dream is that KDE and Gnome applications run on both desktop. I'm really
happy to have KDE users, and we do our best for KDE support in gnomemeeting.
That's why, for example, KDE users can enjoy to have a small docklet in the
KDE systray. What I think that is sad, is to create a clone of a KDE application
for the Gnome desktop, or the reverse. But well, again, it is discussable, there
are a lot of applications to do the same things under KDE and Gnome, and
most of users use the best. The Gnome vs KDE war has no sense. People have
to choose what best suits their need(s). That's the big advantage of free
software.

For your problem, yes, perhaps is it a bug in pwlib. I don't really know as
I don't have your camera... I can't test here. But having a KDE project
will not fix that problem. For example, when I add a functionnality to OpenH323
(I added the ability recently to change the video quality and the background
fill and the jitter buffer during calls), I do it for gnomemeeting, for Equivalence, but also for the KDE project which will use OpenH323. I just hope that
they will do the same to improve our mother project :)