Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Windows Netmeeting compatibility

On Fri, 2001-12-28 at 07:18, Dale E Martin wrote:
> > It is a matter of taste.
>
> Let's take this as fact up front - then we won't feel the need to have a
> flame war and can have a nice friendly discussion about the two.
>
> > I think that the best applications are always present first in GTK and/or
> > for Gnome. There are several examples, like Gimp (GTK), Galeon (GTK),
> > Evolution (GTK/Gnome), GnomeMeeting (hum hum hum ;), ...
>
> I'd actually say that I like Konqueror better than Galeon (Galeon is nice
> too of course), and I'd add gnumeric to the lists of excellent apps
> available for gnome.
>
> > I think that the architecture under Gnome 2 will be excellent.  But it is
> > your choice to choose between KDE or Gnome. Many users use GnomeMeeting
> > under KDE (like Enzo, or Jeff Mills, ...) and do not see any need to have
> > a KDE application.

Well, I can see a good reason for having a QT interface.  The widgets
are different and give a different look and feel for the application.  A
QT app would give a more unified feel to the application.  Plus if
Gnomemeeting is the only gnome app that you use, it's an awfully small
program to install all of the gtk dependencies for, when you've already
got a perfectly good QT library set.

> As you know, I've been attempting to use gnome meeting but I'm having a
> difficult time because my hardware seems to be uncovering bugs in pwlib.
> I'll get back on that today if possible...  Anyways, I use KDE currently
> and I'd be someone using gnome-meeting under KDE.
>
> > But again, it is a matter of taste. My advice is that Gnome is more
> > beautiful, faster, and that's what I like. Moreover GTK has a lot of
> > language bindings (PHP, Python, Perl, ...) and not QT.

KDE also generally seems to be faster on my older hardware, and AA is
definitely nice.  But, I'd much rather use Gnome as I really like the
Gnome/Gimp widget set better.  KDE seems to be to bubbley.

> In my experience I've found KDE to be a lot faster on my hardware, much of
> which is old and slow.  Of course, it's been some time since I tried Gnome
> so it could be that it's faster now.
>
> As far as beauty goes, I love having anti-aliased fonts everywhere in KDE
> and I have to say that using them in Konqueror finally makes browsing in
> Linux look as nice as it does in Windows.  But again, it wouldn't surprise
> me if you said that Gnome was going to be all AA in the next release.
>
> Since QT is GPLed, would you say that argument has become a bit of a red
> herring?  Again, I'm not wanting a flame war, but a bit of friendly
> discussion.  I too have some GUI stuff that I need to develop and I've
> always had some draw to gnome philosophically, but I've found that KDE
> works better for me out of the box.

Basically if Debian accepts it into stable, and not non-free, it should
be considered Free Software. :)

  Lastly, I've heard that developing