Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Refactoring the addressbook code

Le samedi 25 mars 2006 à 22:11 +0100, Julien PUYDT a écrit :

> I'm not finding the draft very clear : the roster is in fact stored
> locally ?

Here are my ideas.

The address book has to stay. It is a way to store local contacts, and
to find new "remote" contacts using LDAP or any other mean.

Each contact belongs to groups. Each contact can even belong to several
groups using Evolution.

We would need to add a specific group. I do not have a good naming, but
let's call that group "ERoster" for now (Ekiga Roster).

When the user adds a contact to the address book, that contact is
identified by an URL. That URL can be H323, SIP, XMPP or anything else.
He can add the specific contact to the ERoster group. (We need to find
an intuitive way of doing this. A simple check box "Part of the roster"
might be enough).

In the main UI, we have a Roster. That Roster displays all contacts from
the address book who are part of the ERoster group of contacts. They are
organized in groups, depending on which groups you have associated them
to in the address book (Family, Friends, ...). If we know that we can
have presence information, then we subscribe to presence events, and
update icons in the Roster. If not, the user is still visible, but
without presence information (eg: "Mom" sip:+32497973131 ekiga net).

Editing the Roster will bring the same popups than editing contacts in
the address book.

That is not complex to do. However, I wonder, is there some GOOD roster
Widget that we can reuse, or not? No need to reinvent a Roster if there
are good ones available.

I also have great ideas for the UI, but I'll leave the surprise for
later :-D
I will start working on the UI after 2.0.2 has been released. Because
even if we do not have presence information, having a roster with
contacts you call often is far more convenient than going into the
address book each time.
(o-
        SIP Phone      : sip:dsandras ekiga net
                         sip:600000 ekiga net