Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Refactoring the addressbook code

Le samedi 25 mars 2006 à 18:36 +0100, Julien PUYDT a écrit :
> Damien Sandras a écrit :
> > The current behavior is part of a discussion that we had together 2
> > years ago. I can understand you changed your mind in-between, however I
> > do not think we can afford rewriting things that work for 2.2 or 3.00.
> >
> > With me being nearly alone coding on OPAL, we do not have the time to do
> > complex changes on such things that are not user-visible.
> >
> > So if you tell me it will take you 2 evenings, then I will tell you: do
> > it.
> >
> > If you tell me that it will take you 1 month, then I vote against it.
> >
> > If you are using a change -> signal -> modify approach, you will quickly
> > see in the gmconf backend that the easiest way to do things is to
> > rebuild entirely the address book for each change. That is not an
> > option. So you will have to know in your GMConf callbacks what contact
> > has been modified/deleted/added and modify only this one in the GUI.
>
> Without a clean backend/frontend separation, the dbus component will not
> be able to work correctly with addressbooks :-/

I do not think it is our job to provide a DBUS interface to the
evolution address book actually.

The same principle is used by Ekiga for the address book than for the
rest of the code.

The problem is that GTK+ is not thread-safe, so to avoid crossed mutex
deadlocks, we had to separate the update of the UI from the update of
the backend.

We can use another principle for the address book, I don't mind, but we
have more important features to add to the address book than this. If
you spend 3 months on the address book, just to change to way the
current code works, and that there are no user visible changes, then it
is not a good idea.
(o-
        SIP Phone      : sip:dsandras ekiga net
                         sip:600000 ekiga net