Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] [Fwd: Re: Quick question]

lör 2002-12-21 klockan 17.43 skrev Damien Sandras:
> > I also thought one "characteristic" was to be a GNOME application
> > (especially since you wanted GM to get into GNOME core). Then it seems
>
> As long as GM is not in the GNOME core, I don't see why I should do
> things I don't like just to follow GNOME.

Well, that seems like a catch-22 problem, since most applications will
have problems getting accepted into GNOME core if they don't follow
GNOME guidelines, or their maintainers prepared to allow it be changed
to do so.

> > strange if you want to be different from the rest of GNOME. If you don't
> > like the recommendation, then suggest a change to the recommendation and
> > provide your arguments for that. The HIG isn't set in stone.
>
> It was only a suggestion of Calum, and I told him it was bad.

Ok, so why are we having this discussion to begin with? :-)
If this recommendation isn't in the HIG, there's no HIG breakage in this
respect.

> > Just ignoring the GNOME recommendation without an attempt to change it
> > seems like an extremely silly thing to do if you want to call
> > GnomeMeeting a GNOME application. Likewise for ignoring the
> > recommendation just because you don't like it, and only accepting the
> > parts of the recommendations that you happen to like from an aestethics
> > point of view.
>
> Yes, that is what I plan to do. I agree to follow the maximum of the
> HIG, fabrice already changed a lot of things in the druid to follow the
> HIG

Yes, I saw that this was being worked on, excellent! Thanks to all of
you!

> but when the result is bad, I don't see why I should follow it.
> The HIG is a set of recommendations, not a dictatorial rule to
> absolutely follow, at least to my own understanding.

You're absolutely right. The HIG is a set of recommendations, and as any
recommendation you are never really forced to follow them. On the other
hand though, the HIG is something that the GNOME project has chosen to
use to bring conformity between applications and to continue to improve,
and something that for example core GNOME applications are bound to
follow closely if they should continue to be in GNOME core.

This isn't much different than other GNOME project cooperation --
application developers and maintainers that want to be in GNOME core
still all have their freedom to do releases any time they want
themselves or include features at any point they want themselves, it's
just that their application won't continue to be in GNOME core if its
release cycles and freezes should diverge too much from what's been
decided for GNOME.

Christian