Re: g-c-c and g-s-d maintainership

On Thu, 2018-02-01 at 16:18 +0000, Georges Basile Stavracas Neto wrote:
Hi Benjamin,

thanks for bringing this topic to the table.

I volunteered to (hopefully temporarily) do general maintainership of
Control Center, but of course respecting the maintainership of each
individual panel.

My main goals as a maintainer during this period are:

Not that those are bad goals, but we really need to be more focused on
fixing user-facing bugs. If we end up modernising the whole codebase
through this, great, but we're talking about fiddling with a 150k lines
code base for no end user benefits (mostly).

Move Control Center to GitLab (will happen Feb 7th)

Only the git repository is due for movement right now, as we probably
want to clean up Bugzilla a bit before migrating issue tracking there.
It'll certainly be rather difficult to handle individual panel
ownership as things stands, but we're not in a hurry.

Zero the unreviewed patches counter in Bugzilla

Good.

Unify the coding style as much as possible (respecting of course each
panel's maintainer decision)
Modernize the codebase (use new macros and utilities, reduce the
boilerplate code volume, etc)
Wipe out as many deprecated functions as possible

See above.

Turn widgets into template widgets

I think this is only useful if code sharing is increased to make it
easier to get a consistent look across panels.

If no one opposes to that, I'll continue reviewing patches and doing
general cleanups until (if ever...) a new maintainer pops up.

Cheers