Re: g-c-c and g-s-d maintainership

On Fri, 2 Feb 2018 at 05:18 Georges Basile Stavracas Neto <georges stavracas gmail com> wrote:
Hi Benjamin,

thanks for bringing this topic to the table.

I volunteered to (hopefully temporarily) do general maintainership of Control Center, but of course respecting the maintainership of each individual panel.

My main goals as a maintainer during this period are:
  • Move Control Center to GitLab (will happen Feb 7th)
  • Zero the unreviewed patches counter in Bugzilla
  • Unify the coding style as much as possible (respecting of course each panel's maintainer decision)
  • Modernize the codebase (use new macros and utilities, reduce the boilerplate code volume, etc)
  • Wipe out as many deprecated functions as possible
  • Turn widgets into template widgets

If no one opposes to that, I'll continue reviewing patches and doing general cleanups until (if ever...) a new maintainer pops up.

I'm happy to help out with maintaintership if needed. I can make releases and happy to pick up a few orphaned panels. There's too many for just one maintainer so having people assigned to each panel seems like a good idea.

I'm also interested in modernizing G-C-C / making it consistent so it's easier and more attractive to hack on. I think it's also important that a core project like this shows best-practise GNOME development techniques.

--Robert