Re: g-c-c and g-s-d maintainership

On Thu, 2018-02-01 at 16:44 +0100, Benjamin Berg wrote:
Hi,

so, it looks like the maintainership issue of g-c-c (and g-s-d) is
not solved at this point and the general idea seem to be to split the
responsibility for the different panels/plugins between people.

I think people not in the know might be a little confused by this mail,
so I'll sum it up.

After 7 years, I gave up maintainership of gnome-control-center and
gnome-settings-daemon to focus on other parts of the stack, though
still keeping an eye an older issues while transitioning unwritten
decisions and providing historical reasoning for various decisions:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2017-May/msg00160.html

Unfortunately, Rui left Red Hat in December, and won't be working on g-
c-c or g-s-d for his new job, so we're looking for a new upstream,
full-time, overall maintainer.

So while ongoing maintenance of the various individual parts is useful,
we also need somebody with knowledge of all the parts to be able to
discuss design with our designers, as well as guide contributions from
co-maintainers and casual contributors. A steward.

We already had a split ownership model like this one for the past
couple of years, with more or less success depending on the
plugins/panels.

I'll leave it to the rest of the thread to figure out which parts of g-
c-c and g-s-d you're individually interested in working on. Let me know
once consensus is reached, and I'll update Bugzilla to make this easier
for folks to monitor.

I can imagine helping out more with following parts:
 * display panel
 * network panel (with Christian Kellner)

This panel is due some serious bug triaging, and given the amount of
moving parts and possible regressions, I think getting automated
testing in early would be a good thing.

 * bluetooth panel (and in extension gnome-blueooth)

I'm pretty sure I still maintain that as well ;)

 * gsd power plugin
 * gsd rfkill plugin

Christian would probably own the new "thunderbolt" panel that should
be
merged soon.

Quite likely I am missing some obvious assignments for ownership
here.

Benjamin