Re: Having external control panels in System settings

On 7 February 2012 11:29, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
>> Online Accounts is specifically not extensible. It's especially odd
>> that Online Account has such prominence in GNOME 3.2 and 3.4's user
>> menu when it only allows setting up a Google or Windows Live account,
>> which should only need to happen once. Instead of advertising the
>> feature, the feature should just be there when you open Chat,
>> Contacts, Documents, or whatever could benefit from the single sign on
>> feature.
>>
>> https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2011-October/msg00044.html.
>
> Online accounts is extensible. It's free software, send patches, get
> them merged, it's extended. Saying that just because a system doesn't
> allow you to write plugins it would be "closed" is completely wrong for
> FOSS.

>From the above linked email "To avoid user confusion we only want the
major online services in GOA."

It doesn't sound like the GOA maintainers would be interested in a
patch for Ubuntu One or Dropbox or Gadu-Gadu, the most popular chat
service in Poland. Because GOA is not extensible, it is useless to
large numbers of people (GNOME 3.2 users who don't use Google and
GNOME 3.4 users who don't use either Google or Windows Live).

Jeremy